Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gone fishing

Today started out as a real office day. My office was overlooking the vegetation of Coffin Bay, and I had some emus wander through around morning tea time, but other than that it was business as usual. All of the technology has been working well. So far the little white Telstra wireless internet wifi device has been sensational. We have had reception everywhere and I haven't had to go to the trouble of cranking up the satellite internet system yet. And today it seemed like the phone was ringing all day. My Optus mobile, which barely gets decent reception in metropolitan Melbourne, let alone out here, is diverted to my VOIP office phone. My office phone is automatically routed to my prepaid Telstra phone which actually gets decent reception. And in cases where the Telstra phone misses a call or is not in range, my calls are routed through to voice mail and I am automatically emailed the message in MP3 format. It's been working seamlessly and has enabled me to carry on running my business as required. Meanwhile the kids have started school. It's been about a week now that they've been doing morning classes. And just like at "real" school, there are good days and bad. Fun classes and classes that bore them to tears. Yesterday they both cracked a sad so Tori sent them out to run around and throw the frisbee for a while. When they came back they were energised and surprisingly refocussed. A boring maths class delivered by me put paid to that. There were moments where I could see their eyes spinning back in their heads in a "do we really have to do this" kind of way. Today they were spared any maths, as I had too much to get on with myself. But finally, as the heat of the day subsided to a more tolerable level and I finally got out the last email and required quote of the day, it was time to venture back into the world of fishing. With one complete disaster under our belts and the knowledge that it couldn't get any worse, we drove into town to get some more bait and to enquire of suitable fishing spots.
The bespectacled middle aged woman running the Coffin Bay store didn't seem like the likeliest of fisherfolk, but we knew that she'd know loads more than us so we pried for information. Admitting I don't know something and asking for assistance is not one of my strong points, but it does usually pay dividends. She suggested the squid as bait and said that the jetty and the channel just around from the boat ramp were fine spots for us to bring in a huge haul of fish. Down at the boat ramp we happened across a couple who were fishing and decided to keep on going and milk them for whatever advice we could get. They were happy to offer advice on all things from what size hooks we should be using to how much bait was best to get the fish we were after. They hadn't caught anything themselves, but at least they looked like they knew what they were doing. He seemed a salty sea dog from way back. And while not really fitting the mould of a fishwife, she seemed authoritative in her suggestions. Good enough for me. I asked for advice on knots for tying all the bits and bobs down the end of the line together and got a lesson in the seven wrap knot. Astoundingly easy yet seemingly very strong. I found it slightly disconcerting when he asked me to lick the tiny nylon knot held in his fishy squid inked hands, but he assured me that without a bit of saliva the knot just wouldn't slip into place and tighten as it should. And so began our foray into joining the world of fishing. No sooner did Jazzy have a line in the water than she had a bite. As it turned out, an unfortunate crab got stuck around the metal sinker while fossicking for a meal and got hauled up to the jetty as our first piece of fishing success. Too small to take home and eat, he did get paraded around by a proud Jazzy before he was spared any further humiliation and was returned to the water. No soomer had this occurred than Finn had a bite. This time it was actually a fish on the end of his rod. He was very excited by the catch, but on closer examination we could see that the fish had the hook stuck in a gill and had started to bleed. Tori freaked out and when the hook was dislodged, he too was promptly returned to the sea. No photo for Finn of his first catch, which was actually a decent fish. The only other catch of the day was by me. This one looked like he was coming home for dinner and spent half an hour or so in a bucket of sea water waiting to be joined by a few friends, but unfortunately none were forthcoming. So in the end, he too was returned and we left empty handed, but having had a much more encouraging and enjoyable day.

With no fish caught for dinner, we retired to a local restaurant for an over priced but very good meal of fish caught locally by somebody else. And I had a dozen oysters prepared in a multitide of ways. After all, it is for the oysters that I really wanted to come to Coffin Bay.

1 comment:

Meteor said...

At least Telstra are good for one thing then.

Remember - Think like a Fish!